Sophia Hamadi is one of the up & coming talents emerging in the Paris music scene. As 1/2 of the electronic duo Opale, she plays cold, melodic, and dreamy music for nostalgics and sunset lovers.
We recently caught up with Sophia to ask her a few questions about her music and life, but first, we suggest listening to the exclusive Moonrise mix she did for the Style of Sound to give you a flavour of her, well, style of sound.
1. WHAT QUALITIES MAKE AN AMAZING SONG?
Making a song is like baking a cake: The sponge cake is like the main structure that shape the song and the icing is like the melodies. If it moves me to tears or make me dance, then it’s a perfect song.
2. YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Music, late night coffees, friends, travels and sunsets.
3. WHO DO YOU RESPECT?
Nature and cats.
4. WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT PARIS?
Its great access to culture and its underground electronic music scene. But most of all, I love the people I have met in Paris. I’ve been living in here for five years, and so far, I am living the best years of my life.
5. WHAT SOUND BEST DESCRIBES PARIS?
Any melancholic sound with lots of reverb.
6. FAVOURITE PLACE TO TAKE OUT-OF-TOWN GUESTS?
An Algerian restaurant called “Les Quatre Frères” in Belleville. I think it’s the best in town.
7. FAVOURITE BEVERAGE?
8. WHAT IS THE WORST TASTING THING YOU’VE EVER EATEN?
9. DO YOU BELIEVE IN ‘LOVE AT FIRST SITE’?
I believe in love at first sight, because I’ve experienced it.
10. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
I’m listening to Two 0 one by John Tejada. This song has changed my life.
11. ALL TIME FAVOURITE ALBUM?
‘In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country’ by Boards of Canada.
12. FAVOURITE CITIES AROUND THE WORLD?
San Francisco, Palm Desert, Berlin, New York and Barika (Algeria).
13. WHERE WOULD YOU TRAVEL TO IF IT WAS YOUR LAST JOURNEY EVER?
I would travel to the Saharan desert in Algeria.
14. DO YOU BELIEVE IN GHOSTS?
I believe in extrasensory perception.
15. ARE YOU MORE OF A RULE KEEPER OR RULE BREAKER?
It depends on the rule..and on the context!
16. WHAT IS YOUR MOTTO?
My mother once told me an Arab proverb which says that forgetfulness is one of the most beautiful gift given by life. I definitely believe in this proverb.
17. ARE YOU A HUGGER OR NON-HUGGER?
I am a passionate hugger.
18. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
I am recording an album with my other music project Opale. I’m also developing my solo project and planning to record an EP before the end of the year.